Veterans’ Week 2013, November 5 to 11 – How Will You Remember?
During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
For more information please visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
2013 Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC
Since the opening of the War Memorial Gym in 1951, The University of British Columbia has held a ceremony commemorating November 11. This year, 2013 will mark sixty-two years that The University of British Columbia has hosted a Remembrance Day ceremony. This special ceremony is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and members of the on and off-campus community to honour and remember all those who served in times of war, military conflict and peace.
This year, the Remembrance Day ceremony at UBC will be held on Monday, November 11 in the War Memorial Gym. Everyone is welcome to attend this annual ceremony – doors open at 10:00 a.m. The ceremony will commence at 10:45 a.m. and will last for approximately one hour. Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony and all are welcome to stay.
The program for this year will include short readings and remarks plus music provided by the UBC Men’s Choir and the Pacific Spirit Brass from the UBC School of Music.
Members of the platform party include:
- Ms. Joyce Murray, MP, Vancouver Quadra, The Parliament of Canada
- Mr. David Eby, MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey, Legislative Assembly of British Columbia
- Associate Pastor Sandeep Jadhav, University Chapel
- Dr. Pascal Spothelfer, VP, Communications and Community Partnership, UBC
- Captain Ben Pong, Canadian Armed Forces (Reserve) and UBC Staff member, UBC Computer Shop
- Prof. Nancy Hermiston, University Marshal and Director, Opera Ensemble, UBC School of Music, UBC
- Ms. Caroline Wong, President, Alma Mater Society – UBC Vancouver
Participating Community Organizations
During the ceremony, wreaths will be laid by or on behalf of the following organizations, all with connections to UBC:
- The Parliament of Canada
- Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey
- University Naval Training Division
- UBC Contingent Canadian Officers’ Training Corps
- Reserve University Squadron, R.C.A.F.
- 12 Field Ambulance Royal Canadian Medical Service
- 196th Western University Battalion Association
- The War Amputations of Canada
- Royal Canadian Legion — Branch #142
- National Aboriginal Veterans Association
- Sir Arthur Pearson Association of War Blinded
- Royal United Services Institute of Vancouver
- The University of British Columbia
- Canadian Union of Public Employees – UBC Locals
- The Association of Administrative and Professional Staff at UBC
- UBC Alumni Association
- UBC Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver
- UBC Athletics
Free parking is available up to 1:00 pm on November 11 in the General Services and Administration Building (GSAB) lot beside the War Memorial Gym and at the meters on Wesbrook Drive (from University Boulevard north to the Bus Loop).
Parking is also available in the North Parkade at a cost of $7.50 for the day (coins or credit cards).
Visit www.maps.ubc.ca for maps and directions.
For further information regarding the Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC, please contact the UBC Ceremonies Office at 604.822.2484 or email@example.com.