Veterans’ Week 2014, November 5 to 11 – How Will You Remember?
During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
For more information please visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
2014 Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC
Since the opening of the War Memorial Gym in 1951, The University of British Columbia has held a ceremony commemorating November 11. This year, 2014 will mark sixty-three years that The University of British Columbia has hosted a Remembrance Day ceremony. This special ceremony is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and members of the on and off-campus community to honour and remember all those who served in times of war, military conflict and peace.
This year, the Remembrance Day ceremony at UBC will be held on Tuesday, November 11 in the War Memorial Gym. Everyone is welcome to attend this annual ceremony – doors open at 10:00 a.m. The ceremony will commence at 10:45 a.m., and will include short readings, remarks and music. Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony and all are welcome to stay.
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War and special mention of this anniversary will occur during this year’s Remembrance Day Ceremony.
For photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives: Photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives
Members of the platform party include:
- Ms. Joyce Murray, MP, Vancouver Quadra, The Parliament of Canada
- Mr. David Eby, MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey, Legislative Assembly of British Columbia
- Associate Pastor Christina Lui, University Chapel
- Mr. Lindsay Gordon, Chancellor, UBC
- Professor Arvind Gupta, President and Vice-Chancellor, UBC
- Dr. Pascal Spothelfer, VP, Communications and Community Partnership, UBC
- Dr. Linda Quiney, Affiliate, Consortium for Nursing History Inquiry, UBC School of Nursing
- Prof. Nancy Hermiston, University Marshal and Director, Opera Ensemble, UBC School of Music, UBC
- Mr. Tanner Bokor, Alma Mater Society – UBC Vancouver
Participating Community Organizations
During the ceremony, wreaths will be laid by or on behalf of the following organizations, all with connections to UBC:
- The Parliament of Canada
- Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey
- University Naval Training Division
- UBC Contingent Canadian Officers’ Training Corps
- Reserve University Squadron, R.C.A.F.
- 12 Field Ambulance Royal Canadian Medical Service
- 196th Western University Battalion Association
- The War Amputations of Canada
- Royal Canadian Legion — Branch #142
- Canadian Aboriginal Veterans and Serving Members Association
- Sir Arthur Pearson Association of War Blinded
- Royal United Services Institute of Vancouver
- The University of British Columbia
- Canadian Union of Public Employees – UBC Locals
- The Association of Administrative and Professional Staff at UBC
- Alumni UBC
- Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver
- UBC Athletics
There are limited free parking spots available up to 1:00 pm on November 11 in the General Services and Administration Building (GSAB) lot beside the Gym plus at the meters on University Boulevard from Wesbrook Mall to East Mall. Parking is also available in the North Parkade at a cost of $7.50 for the day (cash or credit cards).
Please note that there are special parking spaces in the parking lot at the south side of the War Memorial Gym for those that need to park in close proximity to the facility. This parking lot can be accessed via Wesbrook Mall (please go to www.maps.ubc for further information).
For further information regarding the Annual Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC, please contact the UBC Ceremonies Office at 604.822.2484 or email@example.com.