Veterans’ Week 2016, November 5 to 11 – How Will You Remember?
During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
For more information please visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
2016 Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC
ACCESS ADVISORY – DUE TO CONSTRUCTION NEAR THE WAR MEMORIAL GYM, ACCESS & PARKING IS LIMITED – PLEASE SEE “GETTING HERE AND PARKING AT UBC” BELOW.
Since the opening of the War Memorial Gym in 1951, The University of British Columbia has held a ceremony commemorating November 11. This year, 2016 will mark sixty-five years that The University of British Columbia has hosted a Remembrance Day ceremony. This special ceremony is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and members of the on and off-campus community to honour and remember all those who served in times of war, military conflict and peace.
This year, the Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC will be held on Friday, November 11 and will include short readings, remarks from special guests and musical performances by the UBC Opera Ensemble.
Everyone is welcome to attend this annual ceremony – doors to the War Memorial Gym will open at 10:00 a.m. and the ceremony will commence at 10:45 a.m.
Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony and all are welcome to stay.
For photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives: Photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives
Members of the platform party include:
- Ms. Joyce Murray, MP, Vancouver Quadra
- The Honourable Anne Cools, Senator, Senate of Canada
- Mr. David Eby, MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey, Legislative Assembly of British Columbia
- Representative, Musqueam Indian Band
- Mr. Lindsay Gordon, Chancellor
- Dr. Marvin Westwood, Professor Emeritus, Counselling Psychology Program, UBC
- Prof. Nancy Hermiston, University Marshal and Director, Opera Ensemble
- Ms. Ava Nasiri, President, Alma Mater Society – UBC Vancouver
Participating Community Organizations
During the ceremony, wreaths will be laid by or on behalf of the following organizations, all with connections to UBC:
- The Government of Canada
- The Senate of Canada
- Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey
- University Naval Training Division
- UBC Contingent Canadian Officers’ Training Corps
- Reserve University Squadron, R.C.A.F.
- 12 Field Ambulance Royal Canadian Medical Service
- 196th Western University Battalion Association
- Royal Canadian Legion — Branch #142
- Canadian Aboriginal Veterans and Serving Members Association
- Sir Arthur Pearson Association of War Blinded
- Royal United Services Institute of Vancouver
- RCMP – University Detachment
- St. John Ambulance – Division 998 UBC
- The University of British Columbia
- Canadian Union of Public Employees – UBC Locals
- The Association of Administrative and Professional Staff at UBC
- Alumni UBC
- Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver
- UBC Athletics
- Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity
- UBC Sororities
- University Neighbourhoods Association
- Girl Guides of Canada – Mackenzie Heights District and West Point Grey District
- Scouts Canada – 25th Pacific Spirit Area
Getting Here and Parking at UBC
The University of British Columbia is accessible by Translink, car, and bike. Due to construction, please allow yourself extra time to arrive at UBC and access War Memorial Gym.
CONSTRUCTION ADVISORY – DUE TO CONSTRUCTION NEAR THE WAR MEMORIAL GYM, ACCESS & PARKING IS LIMITED – PLEASE SEE AREA MAP BELOW
War Memorial Gym Accessible drop-off areas: Guests with wheelchairs are advised to be dropped off at Bus Bay 1a (480 Bridgeport Station) located on Wesbrook Mall, directly in front of the pedestrian walkway to the War Memorial Gym. Vehicles may proceed to park in the parallel metered parking spots along University Boulevard from Wesbrook Mall to East Mall (free of charge until 1:00pm on November 11th) or at the North Parkade (regular costs apply).
Parking: Due to construction, no parking is available in the vicinity of the War Memorial Gym and as such we advise participants and guests to use the North Parkade. Cost: $ 1.75 per half an hour or $8.00 for the day (coins or credit cards).
Pedestrian Routes: Access the War Memorial Gym either via Athletes Way along the pedestrian gravel walkway off of Student Union Boulevard (dark blue dotted line) or via the pedestrian walkway off of Wesbrook Mall (light blue line).
If you need further information regarding the venue, special needs parking or directions, please visit www.maps.ubc.ca or contact the Ceremonies Office at 604-822-2484.