Veterans’ Week 2015, November 5 to 11 – How Will You Remember?
During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
For more information please visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
2015 Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC
Since the opening of the War Memorial Gym in 1951, The University of British Columbia has held a ceremony commemorating November 11. This year, 2015 will mark sixty-four years that The University of British Columbia has hosted a Remembrance Day ceremony. This special ceremony is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and members of the on and off-campus community to honour and remember all those who served in times of war, military conflict and peace.
This year, the Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC will be held on Wednesday November 11 and with 2015/16 being UBC’s Centennial, this year’s ceremony will highlight UBC’s long history of military service and include short readings, remarks and music.
Everyone is welcome to attend this annual ceremony – doors to the War Memorial Gym will open at 10:00 a.m. and the ceremony will commence at 10:45 a.m.
Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony and all are welcome to stay.
Due to construction surrounding the War Memorial Gym, access is limited – please see Parking section below.
For photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives: Photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives
Members of the platform party include:
- Ms. Joyce Murray, MP, Vancouver Quadra
- Mr. David Eby, MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey, Legislative Assembly of British Columbia
- Dr. Louise Cowin, Vice-President, Students, UBC
- Prof. Nancy Hermiston, University Marshal and Director, Opera Ensemble, UBC School of Music, UBC
- Mr. Aaron Bailey, President, Alma Mater Society – UBC Vancouver
Participating Community Organizations
During the ceremony, wreaths will be laid by or on behalf of the following organizations, all with connections to UBC:
- The Government of Canada
- Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey
- University Naval Training Division
- UBC Contingent Canadian Officers’ Training Corps
- Reserve University Squadron, R.C.A.F.
- 12 Field Ambulance Royal Canadian Medical Service
- 196th Western University Battalion Association
- The War Amputations of Canada
- Royal Canadian Legion — Branch #142
- Canadian Aboriginal Veterans and Serving Members Association
- Sir Arthur Pearson Association of War Blinded
- Royal United Services Institute of Vancouver
- RCMP – University Detachment
- St. John Ambulance – Division 998 UBC
- The University of British Columbia
- Canadian Union of Public Employees – UBC Locals
- The Association of Administrative and Professional Staff at UBC
- Alumni UBC
- Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver
- UBC Athletics
- Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity
- UBC Sororities
- University Neighbourhoods Association
- Girl Guides of Canada – Mackenzie Heights District and West Point Grey District
- Scouts Canada – 25th Pacific Spirit Area
Please note: There is limited parking in the vicinity of the War Memorial Gym due to construction activities and as such we advise participants and guests to use the North Parkade. Cost: $ 1.75 per half an hour or $8.00 for the day (coins or credit cards).
Limited free parking is available up to 1:00 pm on November 11 in the GSAB lot beside the Gym (12 parking spots only) and at the parallel metered parking spots on University Boulevard from Wesbrook Mall to East Mall.
Special needs parking: There are two special needs parking spots located on the NE corner of the Gym and two additional spots located in the parallel metered parking area on University Boulevard. Special needs drop off: please enter from Chancellor Boulevard.
If you need further information regarding the venue, special needs parking or directions, please visit www.maps.ubc.ca or contact the Ceremonies Office at 604-822-2484.