Veterans’ Week 2021, November 5 to 11 – How Will You Remember?
During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
For more information please visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
UBC’s Ceremony for Remembrance Day, November 11, 2021
Since the opening of the War Memorial Gym in 1951, The University of British Columbia has held a ceremony commemorating November 11. This year, 2021 will mark seventy-one years that The University of British Columbia has hosted a Remembrance Day ceremony. This special ceremony is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and members of the on and off-campus community to honour and remember all those who served in times of war, military conflict and peace.
This year’s ceremony will include participation and recognition of UBC’s two major campuses—in Vancouver and the Okanagan. The Remembrance Day Ceremony will include short readings, remarks from special guests and musical performances by the UBC’s School of Music.
For photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives: Photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives
|10:00 a.m.||Doors open|
|10:45 a.m.||Ceremony begins|
War Memorial Gymnasium
6081 University Blvd
Vancouver, BC – (map)
Parking – Please visit UBC Parking for parking options. We recommend North Parkade or the Health Sciences Parkade for the best rates. We will have a limited number of complimentary parking spots for veterans and those with disability parking permits and along 6000 and 6100 block of University Blvd.
We have a limited number of seats available to attend the ceremony, and we ask attendees to pre-register for the ceremony.
Watch the 2020 recording here
Platform Party 2020:
Members of the 2020 platform party include:
- The Honourable Joyce Murray, Minister of Digital Government and MP, Vancouver Quadra
- The Honourable David Eby, Attorney General and MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey
- HOST: Santa J. Ono, President and Vice-Chancellor, UBC
- EMCEE: Professor Nancy Hermiston, O.C., University Marshal and Director, Opera Ensemble, UBC School of Music
- Mr. Cole Evans, President, Alma Mater Society – UBC Vancouver.
Participating Community Organizations for 2020:
Wreaths will be laid by or on behalf of the following organizations, all with connections to UBC:
- The Government of Canada
- The Government of British Columbia
- 12 (Vancouver) Field Ambulance – Royal Canadian Medical Service
- Musqueam Indian Band
- The University of British Columbia
- Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver
- Veterans Affairs Canada
- Royal Canadian Navy
- Canadian Army
- Royal Canadian Air Force
- 196th Western University Battalion Association
- The War Amps
- Royal Canadian Legion — Branch #142
- Canadian Aboriginal Veterans
- Sir Arthur Pearson Association of War Blinded
- Royal United Services Institute – Vancouver Society
- RCMP – University Detachment
- St. John Ambulance – Division 998 UBC
- Mainland BC Military Family Resources Centre
- Canadian Union of Public Employees 116 & 2950 – UBC Locals
- Association of Administrative and Professional Staff at UBC
- Alumni UBC
- UBC Faculty Women’s Club
- UBC Emeritus College
- UBC Institute for Veterans Education and Transition
- University Neighbourhoods Association
- Girl Guides of Canada
- Scouts Canada – Pacific Coast Council
- Canadian Army members in front of Ike K. Barber Learning Centre during WWII (Photo courtesy of UBC Library Archives)