Veterans’ Week 2019, November 5 to 11 – How Will You Remember?
During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
For more information please visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC, November 11, 2019
Since the opening of the War Memorial Gym in 1951, The University of British Columbia has held a ceremony commemorating November 11. This year, 2019 will mark sixty-eight years that The University of British Columbia has hosted a Remembrance Day ceremony. This special ceremony is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and members of the on and off-campus community to honour and remember all those who served in times of war, military conflict and peace.
The Remembrance Day Ceremony will include short readings, remarks from special guests and musical performances by the UBC Opera Ensemble.
Everyone is welcome to attend.
Monday, November 11
Doors Open: 10:00 am
Ceremony start: 10:45 am
War Memorial Gym
6081 University Boulevard
Vancouver, BC (map)
Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony and all are welcome to stay.
For photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives: Photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives
Platform Party 2019:
Members of the 2019 platform party include:
- The Honourable Joyce Murray, President of the Treasury Board, Minister of Digital Government and MP, Vancouver Quadra
- The Honourable David Eby, Attorney General and MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey
- Mr. Lindsay Gordon, Chancellor, UBC
- HOST: Santa J. Ono, President and Vice-Chancellor, UBC
- EMCEE: Professor Nancy Hermiston, O.C., University Marshal and Director, Opera Ensemble, UBC School of Music
- Mr. Chris Hakim, President, Alma Mater Society – UBC Vancouver.
Participating Community Organizations for 2019:
Wreaths will be laid by or on behalf of the following organizations, all with connections to UBC:
- The Government of Canada
- Veterans Affairs Canada
- The Government of British Columbia
- Royal Canadian Navy
- Canadian Army
- Royal Canadian Air Force
- 12 (Vancouver) Field Ambulance – Royal Canadian Medical Service
- 196th Western University Battalion Association
- The War Amps
- Royal Canadian Legion — Branch #142
- Canadian Aboriginal Veterans
- Sir Arthur Pearson Association of War Blinded
- Royal United Services Institute – Vancouver Society
- RCMP – University Detachment
- St. John Ambulance – Division 998 UBC
- Mainland BC Military Family Resources Centre
- The University of British Columbia
- Canadian Union of Public Employees 116 & 2950 – UBC Locals
- Association of Administrative and Professional Staff at UBC
- Alumni UBC
- UBC Faculty Women’s Club
- UBC Emeritus College
- Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver
- UBC Athletics & Recreation
- UBC Centre for Group Counselling & Trauma
- Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity
- Zeta Psi Fraternity
- Panhellenic of UBC
- University Neighbourhoods Association
- Girl Guides of Canada – Mackenzie Heights District and West Point Grey District
- Scouts Canada – Pacific Coast Council
Canadian Army members in front of Ike K. Barber Learning Centre during WWII (Photo courtesy of UBC Library Archives)
Getting Here and Parking at UBC
The University of British Columbia is accessible by Translink, car, and bike. Due to limited parking in the area, please allow yourself extra time to arrive at UBC and access War Memorial Gym.
Suggested Parking: Participants and guests are advised to use the North Parkade. Cost: $4.00 per hour or $10.00 for the day (coins, credit cards or use the HONK mobile app).
Pedestrian Routes: The War Memorial Gym can be accessed from the North Parkade. Walk along the pedestrian walkway past the bus loop, or via the pedestrian walkway off University Boulevard.
If you need further information regarding the venue, special needs parking or directions, please visit www.maps.ubc.ca or contact the Ceremonies Office at 604-822-2484.