Veterans’ Week 2018, November 5 to 11 – How Will You Remember?
During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
For more information please visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC, November 11, 2018
Since the opening of the War Memorial Gym in 1951, The University of British Columbia has held a ceremony commemorating November 11. This year, 2018 will mark sixty-seven years that The University of British Columbia has hosted a Remembrance Day ceremony. This special ceremony is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and members of the on and off-campus community to honour and remember all those who served in times of war, military conflict and peace.
This year, the Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC will be held on Sunday, November 11 and will include short readings, remarks from special guests and musical performances by the UBC Opera Ensemble.
Everyone is welcome to attend this annual ceremony – doors to the War Memorial Gym will open at 10:00 a.m. and the ceremony will commence at 10:45 a.m.
Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony and all are welcome to stay.
For photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives: Photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives
Members of the platform party include:
- The Honourable David Eby, Attorney General and MLA for Vancouver-Point Grey
- Lindsay Gordon, Chancellor, UBC
- Michael Korenberg, Chair, UBC Board of Governors
- UBC HOST: Prof. Santa J. Ono, President and Vice-Chancellor, UBC
- EMCEE: Professor Nancy Hermiston, O.C., University Marshal and Director, Opera Ensemble,UBC School of Music
- Marium Hamid, President, Alma Mater Society-UBC Vancouver.
Participating Community Organizations
During the ceremony, wreaths will be laid by or on behalf of the following organizations, all with connections to UBC:
- The Government of British Columbia
- University Naval Training Division
- UBC Contingent Canadian Officers’ Training Corps
- Reserve University Squadron, R.C.A.F.
- 12 Field Ambulance Royal Canadian Medical Service
- 196th Western University Battalion Association
- Royal Canadian Legion — Branch #142
- Canadian Aboriginal Veterans and Serving Members Association
- Sir Arthur Pearson Association of War Blinded
- Royal United Services Institute of Vancouver
- RCMP – University Detachment
- St. John Ambulance – Division 998 UBC
- The University of British Columbia
- Canadian Union of Public Employees – UBC Locals 116 & 2950
- Alumni UBC
- UBC Faculty Women’s Club
- Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver
- UBC Athletics
- Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity
- Kappa Sigma Fraternity
- UBC Sororities
- University Neighbourhoods Association
- Girl Guides of Canada – Mackenzie Heights District and West Point Grey District
- Scouts Canada – 25th Pacific Spirit Area
Getting Here and Parking at UBC
The University of British Columbia is accessible by Translink, car, and bike. Due to limited parking in the area, please allow yourself extra time to arrive at UBC and access War Memorial Gym.
Suggested Parking: Participants and guests are advised to use the North Parkade. Cost: $3.50 per hour or $8.00 for the day (coins or credit cards).
Pedestrian Routes: Access the War Memorial Gym from North Parkade is via Athletes Way
(off of a Student Union Boulevard) along the pedestrian walkway and past the new Bus Loop.
Or via the pedestrian walkway off of University Boulevard.
If you need further information regarding the venue, special needs parking or directions, please visit www.maps.ubc.ca or contact the Ceremonies Office at 604-822-2484.