Veterans’ Week 2020, November 5 to 11 – How Will You Remember?
During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
For more information please visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
UBC’s Virtual Ceremony for Remembrance Day, November 11, 2020
Since the opening of the War Memorial Gym in 1951, The University of British Columbia has held a ceremony commemorating November 11. This year, 2020 will mark sixty-nine years that The University of British Columbia has hosted a Remembrance Day ceremony. This special ceremony is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and members of the on and off-campus community to honour and remember all those who served in times of war, military conflict and peace.
For photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives: Photos from the First World War – UBC Library Archives
The Remembrance Day Ceremony will include short readings, remarks from special guests and musical performances by the UBC’s School of Music.
Virtual Ceremony Details
10:45am – Ceremony Begins
Watch the livestream here
Platform Party 2020:
Members of the 2020 platform party include:
- The Honourable Joyce Murray, Minister of Digital Government and MP, Vancouver Quadra
- The Honourable David Eby, Attorney General and MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey
- HOST: Santa J. Ono, President and Vice-Chancellor, UBC
- EMCEE: Professor Nancy Hermiston, O.C., University Marshal and Director, Opera Ensemble, UBC School of Music
- Mr. Cole Evans, President, Alma Mater Society – UBC Vancouver.
Participating Community Organizations for 2020:
Wreaths will be laid by or on behalf of the following organizations, all with connections to UBC:
- The Government of Canada
- Veterans Affairs Canada
- The Government of British Columbia
- Royal Canadian Navy
- Canadian Army
- Royal Canadian Air Force
- 12 (Vancouver) Field Ambulance – Royal Canadian Medical Service
- 196th Western University Battalion Association
- Royal Canadian Legion — Branch #142
- Canadian Aboriginal Veterans
- Royal United Services Institute – Vancouver Society
- RCMP – University Detachment
- St. John Ambulance – Division 998 UBC
- Mainland BC Military Family Resources Centre
- The University of British Columbia
- Canadian Union of Public Employees 116 & 2950 – UBC Locals
- Association of Administrative and Professional Staff at UBC
- Alumni UBC
- UBC Faculty Women’s Club
- UBC Emeritus College
- Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver
- UBC Athletics & Recreation
- UBC Institute for Veterans Education and Transition
- Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity
- Zeta Psi Fraternity
- Panhellenic of UBC
- University Neighbourhoods Association
- Girl Guides of Canada – Mackenzie Heights District and West Point Grey District
- Scouts Canada – Pacific Coast Council
- Canadian Army members in front of Ike K. Barber Learning Centre during WWII (Photo courtesy of UBC Library Archives)